Monday, February 1, 2016

Spring Awakening

I love Spring Awakening.  It is my favorite musical and play. 

Thanks to youtube,  I was able to experience the music first and later ordered the official CD from the U.S. (almost two weeks of waiting for it).  It will be a year ago this April that I finally got to see it on stage. 

It was everything I hoped it would be and there was absolutely no censoring of content.  Teenagers discovering sexuality and experiencing sadness.  The controlling nature of parents and homegrown abuse. A generation that feels powerless and voiceless. The music was all there and made more stunning because of the live performance.

That was my experience in hearing and seeing it live.  But what if you had difficulty in hearing the music or could not hear it at all?  There is hope.

The Deaf West Theatre recently wrapped up a Broad way run of the play that involved signing (ASL).  Not just that but the play actually goes a step further and presents actual characters as being deaf, for example, Wendla and Moritz.  

Theatre is something that everyone should be able to experience so it is heartening for me to see people making an effort to make it accessible.  I hope it tours again soon and makes its way to my city so I can experience it for myself.

The below video shows you what it looks like.



If you would like read more about this version of the play, here's a fantastic article about it.  Signs of the Times: 'Spring Awakening' at Deaf West by Linda Buchwald.

No comments:

Post a Comment