Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Shelf Sightings #3: Neil & Some Curiosities

The Art of Neil Gaiman
by Hayley Campbell

Not going to bore you with a constructed description here.  I'm just going to explain my experience with the book.

So...I'm a huge fan of Neil Gaiman.  Obvious, right? You can tell by my multiple posts in this blog and my bookshelf.  He is the only author whose work I love.  It's not for everyone but it's fantastic for me.

That being said, I think this book is great for fans and for people who are just interested in him as a person.  It gives readers a look into his life as he grew up and the paths in his career as a writer (i.e. journalist, playwright, comics writer, author of novels and picture books, etc.).  You even get to read about stories that haven't been published or seen the light of day.  He goes through his work and offers memories and insight into each piece.

You also find out a lot of interesting things.  For me, the biggest surprise was that he worked on the North American dubbing of Princess Mononoke.  Not as a voice actor but as a writer.   I have adored that movie since my teens when I found it on the shelf at Blockbuster.  I was stunned because I hadn't seen his name anywhere on the box.  There's a reason for it and if you wan to find out, pick up the book.  But gently though since it's incredibly heavy.

It's a fun read.  Honestly.


***************************************************************

To Be Checked Out


Cabinet of Curiosities: My Notebooks, Collections and Other Obsessions
by Guillermo del Toro & Marc Scott Zicree

All you ever wanted to know about writer-director Guillermo del Toro in one book.   It's a visual guide to his career and to what inspires his work.  It contains pieces of interviews, pages from his personal notebooks and details of his personal collections.

He's a really creative individual.  Hearing him talk about the smaller aspects of Pacific Rim and seeing how much thought he put into it was amazing.

If you follow him on twitter or if you've seen any of his films, he's very much into folklore and monsters from classic horror films.  You'll see a lot of that in this book.

Also, follow him on twitter.  He makes really interesting book recommendations!

Gif made by vablatsky









No comments:

Post a Comment