Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Blast from the Past: Love Stories for Young Adults

I was at the thrift store today, looking at the books for inspiration for the blog when I happened across a book from a series that I used to read when I was in Grade 7.

Now if you fear the past then close your browser because I am about to unleash the full force of 90s YA romantic fiction on here.  I also hope that I am not the only one who remembers this series.

The Love Stories for Young Adults Series was published from 1995 to 2001.  It had more than 50 books in total.  Goodreads has a great list of them here but I keep finding other books in the series.

For example, The Popular One, The Dance, My Best Friend's Girlfriend, Love Happens and The Older Guy.  It brings the total up to 56 books and there may be more.

It also had 3 sub-trilogies within the series (i.e. the Prom Trilogy,  the Brothers Trilogy and the Year Abroad Trilogy).  Each book was pretty small and quick to get through since none of them surpassed 250 pages in length.

The cover art was also pretty simple.  You either had the main character on the cover or the main couple.  It was also the first  young adult series for me to feature couples with people of colour on the cover too.

The stories were all pretty cliché like best friends falling in love, a girl crushing on the bad boy in school, a girl trying to decide between two guys, high school politics affecting a relationship, the best friend's boyfriend or girlfriend, total enemies falling for one another and the list goes on and on.

I remember enjoying the ones I read because these books really focus on the romance and the heart wrenching struggle to be with the one you love.   They were also surprisingly addictive.

Some authors that participated in the series are still out there writing young adult fiction today such as Rachel Hawthorne, who wrote the Dark Guardian Series.  

She also writes under the pen name, J.A. London. She wrapped up her Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy in 2013 but recently released two new stories.   Trouble from the Start and The Boyfriend Project were released earlier this year in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment