Tuesday, June 3, 2014

La Belle et la Bête

We all have our favorite fairy tales. The one's we own books about or own the Disney movies of.  Mine happens to be Beauty and the Beast.  I've read the early versions by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve (1740) and Jeanne-Marie Le Prince de Beaumont (1756) and traced it through time.  It was a long year and a long project, but it was so much fun.  I learned that I really didn't know a thing about Beauty and the Beast besides what Disney had sold me when I was a kid in 1992.

What I kind of love about this fairy tale is how people keep taking it, reimagining it and just adding to its history (except for the recent TV series.  I wanted to like it but couldn't. I'm sorry.).  So imagine my surprise when I am on youtube and I find a trailer for a new French-German adaptation of the story.

It's not a Disney adaptation.  I'm going to have to crush your dreams right there.  I believe it borrows a lot of its elements from the old written tales by Villeneuve and Beaumont.  I think it may even be trying to say something with respect to the old 1946 Jean Cocteau French film adaptations as well.

Click play on the video below and prepare to be stunned by the trailer.  Don't be intimidated just because everyone is speaking in French.  The trailer I posted has English subtitles.



It was released back in February in France and Berlin.  I'm hoping it will have a small release in North America soon because I would love to go and see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment