Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Shelf Sightings #1


I was at the bookstore today just doing my thing and looking about when I stumbled upon a set of interesting books in the baby section.  












I am not a mother nor am I the godmother or aunt of any tiny humans.  I am just a fan of the soft stuffed animals and cute paraphernalia that they have over there.  I literally had no valid reason  to be there but I am glad I was or else I would not have seen them.













As you can see, these books are based on classics, but they use them in a way to introduce words, numbers, colours and animals to small children (i.e. they are all primers).

Pride and Prejudice is a numbers primer.
Alice in Wonderland focuses on colours.
Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles is about word sounds.
The Jungle Book is essentially, a small animal book.

Also, the artwork by Alison Oliver is so well done and adorable.  Of course, there are more books to this BabyLit series and a list can be found right here. However, be aware that the books that don't focus on language may have difficult words.  I took a long gander at the Pride and Prejudice books and while I know that the numbers are the focus, the words are a bit hard for young children (i.e. 2 marriage proposals).

The feeling I get is that it can be a team effort sort of reading even after kids know their numbers. Childhood is a time of constant change so I think parents can benefit from something that will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment