Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Gotham, Constantine & Agent Carter

It's an exciting time for comic book lovers and comic book movie lovers as so many of our heroes are getting a chance to spread their wings in film and on TV.


One of the things I love from this little sneak peek of "Gotham" is that I can get a sense of the tone.  It's dark and gritty just like Christopher Nolan's "Batman" films and that's actually something I enjoyed about his movies. It reflects the same tone that the comics now carry instead of the more cartoonish and camp qualities of Batman's past. I also love that we get to see some familiar characters before they became villains and heroes. Ben Mackenzie, which I was wary of in the beginning, fits right into the series. I don't know how I doubted him when he did such a great job on the show "Southland". I will definitely be tuning into this one when it airs in the new tv season.


I am going to be honest with you right now. That "Constantine" movie with Keanu Reeves? It's a guilty pleasure of mine despite all of the things it did with the actual character of John Constantine. That being said, I am happy we're getting a version of John that is a lot closer to the character I used to read about. He wears a tan trenchcoat, he's blonde, he's british and he cracks some jokes. I'm excited for this one as well, but I do hope this series will be darker than it looks in the trailer. What I loved about the Hellblazer comics was that it was scary and full of horror but with a sense of humor. This is kind of what I want out of it.

In other really fantastic news, we're getting an Agent Carter TV series! I have been waiting for this since forever. A female led Marvel show about a powerful lady agent doing amazing things? The wait has been torturous. Hayley Atwell will be reprising her role as Peggy Carter, which I am happy to hear because I think she's so great. What we know so far is that it will take place in 1946 America and Peggy will be working on missions for Howard Stark. All of this info and a few other details are in Marvel's press statement . For now though? Check out the clip below of the short film titled, "Agent Carter", which was included in the "Iron Man 3" DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment