Saturday, May 25, 2013

“Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.”

The Dark by Lemony Snicket and illustrated by Jon Klassen: Laszlo is quite familiar with the dark.  It lives with him in the same house and he sees it each night.  He is also terribly afraid of it.

This story is about how he overcomes that fear.



Saw this listed as a new item for my local library and picked it up right away.  I like Lemony Snicket's books and a picture book for children was sort of new territory for me with this author.  

When I was a kid, I totally used to have a fear of the dark and my parents and older brother constantly made fun of me for it.  This book does not do any of that. It  does not shame Laszlo for his fear of the dark, which I think is important.  It presents the dark as a character, something that has to be met and not ignored.  By the end, the terror that had been building with the spreading of the dark disappears.  It is a comforting story and I loved that.  

I really liked this little book and I recommend it to all parents who like to read to or with their children.  The text of the book is also something worth noting because it is simple yet poetic. Lemony Snicket (I do know his true name.) writes a story that is both suspenseful and in the end heartwarming. The text varies from page to page and there is some repetition, which is important when learning to read. The artwork by Jon Klassen is wonderful, fantastic, and all those other complimentary words.  He's great.  His work is great.  It complements and fits the story so well.  I cannot say much more than that.


(Title quote is by Anne Frank)

1 comment:

  1. Now i am curious by means of that new for that idea that the idea "stepped beyond the restrictions regarding core contemporary". My spouse and i genuinely acquired no notion that ebook revolved around emotional ailments, which makes us ponder in case that has been accomplished by choice? Due to the fact without alert of the publishing type, I'm able to definitely discover why it might be frazzling for that audience.

    ReplyDelete