Sunday, May 19, 2013

“For the alchemist the one primarily in need of redemption is not man, but the deity who is lost and sleeping in matter. "


Fullmetal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa: Alchemy is about equal exchange, where to gain something you must also give something in return. The Elric brothers learned this the hard way. Now they travel their war ravaged and poverty stricken world in search of answers and a way to make up for the mistakes they have made.


From the first few pages of this manga, Hiromu Arakawa gives you so many reasons to stay and read.  The story is mysterious, funny, gut wrenching and sometimes totally scary.  Basically, it has all the elements of something that should get you hooked instantly. It also has these unexpected themes that I never saw mentioned in a lot of the reviews I read.  They make this manga something that should not be ignored.  It makes it more than its medium of expression, which some still view as criteria for passing it over.


While I did enjoy the first two volumes and I will continue reading this series, something has been bothering me.  This manga is in part about a quest for Edward to get back the pieces of his body that he has lost.  I understand trying to figure out a way to fix his brother because Alphonse doesn't really have a body (i.e. soul stuck in a suit of armor) but I do not get why Edward feels the need to fix himself.  It is as if him having prosthetic limbs is a bad thing that needs to be corrected.  

It makes me uneasy to see this especially with how advanced his arm and leg are compared to what we have in our reality. How would readers with prosthetic limbs feel when reading this series?  They already have so much to deal with so would this somehow offend or upset them?  Many readers of this manga will probably not see it this way but it was a thought that crossed my mind and would not leave.  

At the same time, it does present a prominent character with prosthetic limbs as being powerful not just in spirit and mind but also in body.  I think that is definitely something wonderful and rare.

I do warn though that there is quite a bit of violence and blood in this manga but it is not especially gory or gratuitous .  I recommend this series for teens 15 years of age or older.  


One final note before I end this post.  If you're reading this and you're a girl and you're thinking to yourself, "This manga is not for me.  It looks like it's for boys."  I am here to tell you that this manga is actually for everyone.  Not only are there some awesome female characters in this series but the writer and illustrator, Hiromu Arakawa, is also a woman.  So please do not let that arbitrary notion prevent you from reading things you are interested in.

(Title quote is from C. G. Jung)

1 comment:

  1. Now i am curious by means of that new for that idea that the idea "stepped beyond the restrictions regarding core contemporary". My spouse and i genuinely acquired no notion that ebook revolved around emotional ailments, which makes us ponder in case that has been accomplished by choice? Due to the fact without alert of the publishing type, I'm able to definitely discover why it might be frazzling for that audience.

    ReplyDelete