Thursday, April 18, 2013

"Drink up me hearties, yo ho! Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me!"


One Piece by Eiichiro Oda:  Monkey D. Luffy is finally grown up and ready to fulfill his life long dream of becoming a pirate.  He'll have to build a crew, find a ship and deal with evil pirates on his way to finding the ultimate treasure, the legendary One Piece.








I really loved the beginning to this manga. I bought the omnibus edition like in the photo above so I read three volumes in one sitting. It's funny, action packed and it sucks you in the more you read it.  I have bought two other omnibus editions for myself and I continue to read it because I am heavily invested in finding out what happens to Luffy and his crew.  I kind of really like Luffy and his optimism.  His determination to become a pirate but not to be a bad person is also pretty interesting.

My only nitpick was that sometimes when I turned the page, it felt like something had been left out.  It moved onto a new scene and I was left wondering if I had missed something.  I do not know if this was part of the translation work or if maybe they left something out to make it more suitable for teen audiences in North America. It was pretty jarring and it interrupted my reading experience a little.

Another thing I just recently realized when I started reading this series is that it is still ongoing.  This means there is no planned ending as of yet and I rue the day I got into this manga.  I absolutely hate things that do not have a planned ending.  This literally means that it could probably go until Eiichiro Oda dies (i.e. my biggest nightmare right there).  It is currently on its 69th volume and I just hope it does not go on for much longer.  Everything has its end.  Please let the end for One Piece be sometime within my lifetime. 

This manga series isn't for everyone though.  I would suggest it for a teen audience and beware that there is violence and blood in One Piece.  There hasn't been any strong language in the manga so far in my experience and there probably won't be.  The characters and scenes are really dramatic (i.e. the constant yelling) and some readers might not like that either, which is understandable. 

It is definitely worth a try though and you never know, you might like it.



(title quote from the Pirates of the Carribean film)

1 comment:

  1. I need to start this series! It sounds so good, and the covers for it are so pretty. I think I'll probably wait until this is released them read them all at once. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete