Friday, July 6, 2012

"You don't give up. You never give up. Maybe that's what it takes to be a hero."



Title: Avengers: Children's Crusade
Writer: Allan Heinberg
Artist: Jim Cheung
Release Date: March 28, 2012

WARNING: SOME MINOR SPOILERS

And thus ends 2 years of impatient waiting and anger in relation to delays. Avengers: Children's Crusade is finally done and in one big book. Missed an issue? No worries, they're all in there.

I liked Children's Crusade but it wasn't a perfect series. Something I realized that wasn't new reader friendly was the fact the events in this collection rely heavily on the foreknowledge of some major events in the Marvel Universe. It does get explained, but I don't think new readers will truly grasp the importance of those events and their effects on this story.  I think some readers will be left frustrated and confused at times by this. I suggest maybe reading Secret Invasion and House of M before or after Children's Crusade.

I also expected a lot more from this story. I don't know if Allan Heinberg felt rushed to just finish the series off or if he was apprehensive to take things further, but I think he had an opportunity to do something great here and he just didn't.

I will say this though, something I really loved about the ending was that it was hopeful, not just for the Young Avengers but for the Marvel Universe too.


The art, as usual, was flawless because Jim Cheung is that insanely good. I could not imagine anyone else drawing the Young Avengers. I really couldn't.


The hardcover collects:
UNCANNY X-MEN (1963) 526 (B STORY)
AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE 1-9
AVENGERS: THE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE - YOUNG AVENGERS 1

(quote from Children's Crusade issue 9)

No comments:

Post a Comment