Monday, July 23, 2012

“Now I know what a ghost is. Unfinished business, that's what.”

The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade: Alona Dare is the Queen B at her high school but getting hit by a school bus and dying cuts her rule short. Waking up in the same exact spot of her death, Alona walks around the grounds of what used to be her kingdom and watches as everyone forgets her.

 Was it going to be like this forever? Alona thought there would be a white light to take her away.

She thinks she's invisible to everyone she used to know until she notices Will Killian, the resident goth and total zero, laughing at her. He can see her and isn't that interesting? But Alona has to figure out a way to keep Will alive from a dangerous black ghost cloud thing and out of an insane asylum if she wants help in figuring out her afterlife.


 Okay, so this is another guilty pleasure novel because I usually don't read series books and I'm trying to stay away from supernatural heavy novels. BUT and this is a giant and mclargehuge but, I really enjoyed it. I sped through this novel in about a day and a half and didn't mind the alternating chapters between Will and Alona. So let me drop on you what I liked and disliked about this first novel in the Ghost and Goth series. LET'S GET TO IT. 

First, it's a really funny book and you basically have me if you can make me laugh more than once while reading. I mean the back and forth between Will and Alona was pretty awesome. When a popular girl clashes with a regular unpopular guy, there's bound to be hilarity at some point if you can get it right. 

Second, even though this novel involves a lot of the supernatural, the characters are dealing with real life problems like friendships, death (in more ways than one), suicide, family and mental illness. I thought that was really interesting and unexpected too. 

Third, I liked the characters a lot. Will, especially, because he was so tragic but brave and lovable too. Alona grows quite a bit in this book, which I am thankful for, because she needed to or else we were going to have a problem. I enjoyed Will and Alona's partnership and how they grew to really care about each other instead of just tolerating one another. 

 There's only one tiny thing I did not like about this novel and that was sometimes the cliches were a little much. Like Alona for instance, the blonde cheerleader that is a bit dumb and completely focused on outward appearances? I didn't mind it at first because that is kind of who she is but I also did not want her to drown in it. It just got a bit annoying is all. 

Overall, a really fun book that was surprising in a good many ways.  I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. 



(title quote from Salman Rushdie, The Satanic Verses)

No comments:

Post a Comment