Monday, April 23, 2012

"She is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me."



Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg: Prom is fast approaching at Longbourn Academy and Lizzie Bennet, a scholarship student, could care less about it. While her high society classmates all worry themselves about dates and perfect dresses, Lizzie is working tirelessly to survive her time at the school.

The only bright spot is her kind friend and roommate Jane, who has always stood by her. But Jane gets bitten by the prom bug when Charles Bingley returns to Pemberley Academy and Lizzie is happy for her. But with Charles Bingley comes Will Darcy, an insufferable jerk and snob of the highest order. Lizzie detests Darcy and the more she hears about him, the more she wishes she didn't know him.

But Lizzie might be all wrong about Darcy and he just be the right person at the right time.

I really enjoyed this book. It made me want to crack open my old copy of Pride and Prejudice, read it all over again and then marathon the bbc Colin Firth series. I got it bad.

But let's start with what I didn't like about the book. Just two tiny things really. Firstly, I really think Elizabeth Eulberg could have played around with their names a bit more because the characters are recognizable through their personalities and their situations rather than their names. I felt like reading the name Charles over and over again for a book with a modern setting was strange. Couldn't you just call him Charlie? I know he's rich and everything but there's no need to be that stuffy. Same goes for Charlotte. Could have shortened her name to Lettie.

Though I did love how she inserted Lady Catherine De Bourgh into the story. Funnily enough, I still pictured her as looking like Maggie Smith.

Secondly, the dialogue reminded me quite a bit of the dialogue in the original Austen novel in how it sounded dated. I know Lizzie is surrounded by people from a different society but I was hoping their voices would sound different and a little more current. I think Lizzie was the only one who truly broke out of that mold.


But let's move onto what I really liked about the novel. First, the characters. Colin is as cringe worthy and mortifying as Mr. Collins has always been. Good lord, I couldn't stop laughing and wanting to hide in the closet for fear reading his name might conjure him up into existence. Also, I really liked Lizzie. I loved her passion for music and the piano and how strong she was in bearing the bullying coming from her peers at Longbourn.

Secondly, Lizzie gets to punch someone. I know that isn't a great reason but everyone was so reserved and proper in the Austen novel that even in the moments of great injustice there wasn't any action. Here we get some. All I'm saying is that someone who really deserves it finally gets theirs in the form of Lizzie's powerful yet delicate fist.

Lastly, it's just a really fun and lovely novel. It breaks your heart in places but by the end, gives it back to you all taped and glued back together.







This novel is now out in paperback.


(Quote from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice)

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I really want to read this one, to see how it compared to Pride & Prejudice :)

    I currently have a giveaway going on my blog if you want to check it out HERE

    Rabiah
    Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete