Friday, April 6, 2012

"It's stupid but it's what I do."




Title: Batgirl, Vol. 3: The Lesson
Writer: Bryan Q. Miller
Art by: Dustin Nguyen, Derek Fridolfs, Pere Perez and Ramon Bachs.
Release Date: November 29th 2011

It's Stephanie Brown's second semester at Gotham U and things are about to get a little more complicated than they usually are. The "Order of the Scythe" wants to take Batgirl down and they'll do it anyway they can, including framing her for murder.

Not only does she have to worry about a dangerous cult coming after her, she has to worry about the police too. She's on the run and hiding in plain sight but she can't keep is up forever.

Is there no one in Gotham City who still believes in Batgirl?

First of all, it's a good comic. Interesting and sad but revealing too. I am so happy to see Stephanie's relationship with her mom grow stronger in the pages of this collection because I feel that it was always one of her greatest worries.

Another thing that made my heart flutter happily was that we saw Stephanie and Nick Gage really work together as a team. I loved it because even though he's a little older than her (he's between 28 and 31, I reckon), they make a great pair. What irked me was that she told him to go after Barbara Gordon. Why? Why the hell would you do that? He had way more chemistry with Stephanie. If the series featuring Stephanie as Batgirl didn't end here, I would have liked to have seen some build up between Gage and Batgirl.



The last set of sections in this volume set up so many possibilities and they were all dashed with THE NEW 52 decision. I think that's why I think everything seemed a little rushed towards the end. They saw the decision coming and wanted to try and give Stephanie an ending, a hopeful one.

I like Barbara Gordon and she was a good Batgirl but Stephanie Brown is my hero. Hopefully, one day she'll wear the suit again.


(quote from Batgirl: The Lesson)

No comments:

Post a Comment