Monday, February 20, 2012

“I love zombies. If any monster could Riverdance, it would be zombies.”



I know I talk a lot about The Hobbit adaptation coming out far far away down the line (it feels that way at least) but now I would like to take the time to talk about the Warm Bodies film coming out a year from this month (it was pushed back).

If anyone remembers, I have talked about Isaac Marion's novel before back when it was about ready to come out on shelves. I've known for a while that it was being made into a movie but I was waiting for the proper moment to talk about it.

Nicholas Hoult will definitely be playing R and as you can see, there are already stills of him in full on zombie makeup. If you watch The Walking Dead (like I do every Sunday) then what these zombies look like is a shock. When I think zombies, I think ugly decaying faces with the possibility of missing body parts.

But I actually like this new interpretation. Because while zombies are for all intents and purposes dead, they still are (in a way) alive (something has to make them rise and it ain't David Guetta's new CD). And these zombies look dead but without the advanced decomposition.

How R's thoughts will translate from page to screen when he can't actually talk is through voiceover. I'm excited about this because it's such a cool way to still hear R's voice. It reminds me of the novel since we're inside his head and we see his thought process even though he is unable to physically express what he thinks.



What I'm not liking is how this film, before it's even been released, is already being compared to Twilight. I think we should watch the film and make our own opinions, independent of Stephenie Meyer's novels and the films based off of them. My point is it's too early to tell what this film will be like so the comparison is a bit forward and unfair though inevitable. A lot gets compared to Twilight based on little to no similarities these days.

The movie looks interesting and the cast is pretty cool so I might go to see it when it comes out on February 1st, 2013.

EXTRA: Interview with the author about the book and the film.


(title quote from Craig Ferguson)

No comments:

Post a Comment