Tuesday, January 31, 2012

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places."

As part of my mark for my Children's Literature class, I was asked to pick a picture book to bring into class. I admit, I didn't think much about it and picked Oliver, Who Traveled Far and Wide written by Mara Bergman and illustrated by Nick Maland at random off the shelf.



Ultimately I took it home from the library because I just loved the illustrations and the use of colour throughout the book. Nick Maland's work here is beautiful and it gets even better as he draws us across the landscape of Oliver's imagination. The colours are solid and vibrant and the lines bold.

I also liked the story which revolves around Oliver Donnington Rimington-Sneep's search for his teddy bear named Ted. It warmed my heart when Oliver finally found him and they were able to go home together. A sweet and adorable book.

The words and illustrations in this book come together really well to tell the story. The text and the pictures could exist independently of each other but I think it's their combination which makes Oliver's adventure really great and memorable.



(title quote from Roald Dahl)

No comments:

Post a Comment