Thursday, December 1, 2011

“Lovers, forget your love And list to the love of these She a window flower And he a winter breeze ...”



Wintertown by Stephen Emond Every year around winter, Evan looks forward to one thing and that's a visit from his old friend Lucy. But this year is different. Lucy is different. She has short dyed black hair, a nose stud and a harsh attitude.

Evan has no idea what happened but he's determined to find and bring out the 'old Lucy' because he knows she's still in there...somewhere. He'll do it even if it means he'll have to face 'new Lucy's' temper.


This is the one book this December that I have truly been waiting for. Yes, I am interested in others but this one has really captured my attention. They've compared it to Garden State, which is one of my favorite films, and I suppose I'm looking for that coming of age and discovery novel this winter. Also, it's illustrated and I can't help but be really excited about a novel that mixes text and images (breaking down them traditional walls).

And look! The cover is so pretty. I admit I can also be extremely shallow about the novels I pick up but only at first. I love the use of the silhouetted figure, paper confetti to create the snow and the background. All simple elements that come together to create a unique and interesting cover.



Wintertown arrives December 5th in hardcover and coincidentally on the first day of Uni exams for me. Bittersweet day.


(note: title quote from Robert Frost)

1 comment: