Monday, October 31, 2011

"Go to hell! Oh! I've been there, thank you. I found it quite lovely."


Coraline
by Neil Gaiman

When Coraline moves into an old house subdivided into four flats, she finds a locked door in the living room.

Later, when she's home alone, she tries the door and it opens. She steps through it to find a flat almost exactly like her own, complete with "other" parents. Everything in this alternate world seems to be better, even the "other" parents are more fun even though they have black shiny buttons instead of eyes.

But soon enough, the "other" parents want to call Coraline their daughter and that means trading her eyes for buttons.

If you ever want to be terrified by a children's novel, read Coraline. It didn't win the Bram Stoker Award for Works for Young Readers for nothing. I don't know what scared me more the kids trapped in the mirror or the buttons for eyes. This is another one of his novels that I truly like even though it scares me to bits.

If you like this one, also check out The Graveyard Book. I chose to put Coraline first since it's an older novel.



***********************************************************


The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre
by H.P. Lovecraft
edited by August Derleth

It's an anthology of H.P. Lovecraft's most terrifying, most fiendish and most blood chilling tales. *cue crack of thunder*

I honestly didn't think they'd be very scary. I had this whole laugh-in-the-face-of-danger attitude going to read this book and I will admit that all his stories scared me. Especially, The Picture in the House. I'm still having nightmares about it.

Some stories included in the book are:
The Rats In The Walls
In The Vault
The Music of Erich Zann
The Call of Cthulhu
The Dunwich Horror

+ And many more.



***********************************************************


The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

Fairytales aren't just for kids. I say this because I know I'm not the only adult still reading and enjoying them. They're scary and strange but they're also fun to read.

It's also amazing to know that these stories have been around for so long and that they've survived the passing of time.

Some of the stories included in the book are Briar Rose, Snow White, Little Red Cap, Cinderella, Hansel and Gretal and Rapunzel.


SIDE NOTE: HAPPY HALLOWEEN.
(ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: THE TITLE QUOTE IS FROM THE HOCUS POCUS FILM.)

No comments:

Post a Comment