Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"This paperback is very interesting, but I find it will never replace a hardcover book - it makes a very poor doorstop. "

If you're on a budget like me, you spend a good few months pining for a certain hardcover book until it sheds its hard shell and comes out in a soft paperback edition. For the month of September, there are two novels that I think are worth a read. Let's break it down.



Revolver by Marcus Sedgwick: 14-year-old Sig is sitting in an isolated cabin in a snow covered wilderness but he's not alone, the corpse of his dead father keeps him company as he waits for his sister and mother to return. Then a stranger, large and gruff, knocks on his door and accuses his father of having cheated him out of his gold.

The stranger wants it back but Sig doesn't know anything about any stolen gold. What Sig does know is that there's a loaded Colt revolver hidden somewhere in the cabin but can he find it in time?



I'm a closet western nut (I blame Deadwood and John Wayne) so the author's already got me there. Another thing is the overall story grabs me. Will Sig find the Colt? Will he be able to shoot it? Did his father really steal the gold? And I just love how the story takes place within the closed walls of the cabin. Talk about tension and restriction!

And the cover, it really brings out those notions of mystery and desolation created in the book by the stranger and the cold landscape where the cabin is located through the use of the dark image and the blue colour.





The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist #2) by Rick Yancey: Dr. Warthrop is trying to prove the existence that Homo vampiris, the vampire, but that task must be put aside as a former fiancee asks Warthrop to save her husband from a Wendigo. A greedy creature whose hunger is never sated.

Despite not believing in the creature, Dr. Warthrop heads to the Canadian wilderness and rescues the poor man, who is starved and near death. But is what Dr. Warthrop brought back still a man?


Does Canada have Wendigos? Probably. I'm kidding. Maybe. But truthfully, I'm glad to see that this book is out in paperback now so I can finally read it. I've always found the Wendigo to be such an interesting creature in mythology. It was once human but when it tasted human flesh, it lost that humaness and became a monster. They could even copy human voices in order to lure their victims! (sleeping with the light on, thank you) You see a lot of it brought up on TV like Supernatural, Haven and Fear Itself.

But back to the novel, Rick Yancey is such an impressive writer and I look forward to seeing how he's going to scare me with this novel and the legend of the Wendigo.


(note: title quote from Alfred Hitchcock.)

No comments:

Post a Comment