Sunday, September 18, 2011

"Strange indeed, sir. Peculiar even."




Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs: Jacob's grandfather used to tell him stories when he was a kid. Stories about a large and beautiful house on an island, a sharp beaked Headmistress and a bunch of strangely talented children. At 16, Jacob stopped believing those stories a long time ago but then the monsters came and everything changed.

And it all started with a few photographs.

I love this book. I well and truly do. I've been reading it all week (school started up or else I would have been done in 3 days) and I just finished it today.

I adore the mixture of writing and pictures and they both play off of each other to create something really special, something I haven't seen before. This book had me going in so many directions. As I read the novel, I had all these assumptions about what this book was going to be like and with every chapter I read, my assumptions fell apart. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. In fact, when a book can surprise me, it's a good thing. If you read it, you'll understand why.

Another funny thing is, I had nightmares about this book. I can read various short stories by H.P. Lovecraft and go to bed unafraid and dream about nothing but not so with this book. I can't even explain it except that I woke up so thoroughly frightened and concerned about faceless children. Nightmare fuel, y'all, I know.

Some good news that isn't about me and my sleeping habits? There shall be a sequel. Ransom Riggs did some more exploring during the summer and found some more pictures that he'll be incorporating in the next book. I'm already so excited for it.






This is a video about the author's journey in Europe where he searches for the house he envisions as Miss Peregrine's home for her peculiar children. Really fascinating and amazing to watch. Some of the things he shows you in the video are so heartrendingly beautiful. It gave me chills.





(note: title quote from Murdoch Mysteries.)

No comments:

Post a Comment