Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"A perfect sister I am not, but thankful for the one I've got.”



Irises by Francisco X. Stork: Sisters Mary and Kate have plans. Kate is leaving for Stanford and Mary just wants to stay home and paint. But when their strict father dies, they're forced to deal with a new kind of freedom. One they aren't prepared for and one they don't know quite how to handle. But with this freedom comes a new responsibility to their mother, who remains in a vegetative state.


Kate's boyfriend, Simon, proposes to her and she knows he could offer her the one thing she needs right then - stability. But she's drawn to Andy, whose passion and aspirations match her own so perfectly. And Mary herself faces a challenge when she falls for someone with a violent past that scares her.


The sisters must figure out their lives and each other as well as what's worth living for.


I knew he'd been working on something and now instead of just my suspicions and hopes, I have proof. It'll be interesting to see how Stork writes his female protagonists for this novel since I've only seen him deal specifically with male main characters. Mary and Kate (I keep wanting to insert Olsen in there) have a heaping load of things going on, a lot of them unimaginably tough, so I think how they overcome them is going to be compelling. I wish this book was coming out sooner. LIFE, SHE IS TOO CRUEL.


The cover is pretty and simple and not overdone, which is nice to see. I was disappointed, however, to see that it didn't reflect the covers of 'Marcelo in the Real World' or 'The Last Summer of the Death Warriors'. I loved the cover art from those two books and since he'd used it twice, I was hoping there would be a third occasion for the artist to work his or her magic again.


Release Date: January 1st, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment