Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Masks. They hide our faces. They hide our fear."

I've been holding off really talking about the new 52 from DC Comics because I wanted to form my own opinion after I'd read something that was a product of the relaunch. You know...an opinion that wasn't still ranting and pouting.






Batgirl #1
Written by: Gail Simone
Penciller: Ardian Syaf

3 years. It took three years for Barbara Gordon to walk again and she's trying to get back into the groove of wearing the mark of the bat on her chest again. But there's a new baddie in town named Mirror and no one's quite sure what he's after. It wasn't the 'welcome back' that Batgirl was expecting.

I actually liked the first issue. I didn't expect to since Stephanie Brown is my one and only Batgirl but I did. I think Mirror is going to be an interesting bad guy to figure out.

My only problem? They didn't explain how Barbara can walk now after being confined to a wheelchair due to her spinal cord injury. So I'm into the series for now but if that doesn't get explained soon then there is going to be a problem.




Issue #2 comes out October 12th.
Issue #3 comes out November 9th.




Batwoman #1
Writer and artist: J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman

Kate Kane has a lot to deal with. Her father betrayed her. She has a new unruly sidekick. And there's a monster on the loose that's taking the children of Gotham. It's never a quiet night for Batwoman.



I was so surprised that this series is continuing the story from the last issue before the relaunch was announced. I didn't think they'd do that since it was supposed to be a reboot. But I am not complaining. I loved the art and the story from before so I was happy to see it carried on. That being said, I liked this issue but it felt like there should have been more to it. That's what I hate about single issues, they always leave you wanting more.

Also, for those wondering, Batwoman is still a lesbian. That wasn't suddenly changed like some of the other things in the DC Universe (i.e. Amanda Waller).



Issue #2 comes out October 12th.
Issue #3 comes out November 9th.

There are definitely going to be some hits and misses with the new 52, no doubt in my mind, but I do think that there will be some good comics coming out of it too.

(note: title quote from Batman, New Earth series.)

No comments:

Post a Comment