Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"Oh, the summer night, has a smile of light, and she sits on a sapphire throne."



Hooked by Catherine Greenman: Thea Galehouse has learned to take care of herself especially with a scattered club owner for a mom and a recovering addict for a dad. She holds her own in the city of New York and at her competitive and distinguished high school. She's focused and self-sufficient but just one talk with Will, a senior at her school, unravels all of that and she falls for him. When Will moves on to college, Thea is surprised that their relationship survives it and that Will continues to try and involve her in his life. Then Thea misses a period and finds out she's pregnant. They decide to keep the baby but aren't prepared for the amount of responsibilities their decision comes with. Their parents help give them a place to raise their baby as well as support Will through school. But when a terrible accident threatens their fledgling little family, Thea will have to find strength and support from someone she least expects.


I haven't actually read a novel involving teen pregnancy before and this month there are two on my list that look really interesting. What interests me most with this novel is about her relationship with Will and their decision to start a family together. This book could go either way with a happy or sad ending. I'm hoping for one that is realistic yet hopeful at the same time.

Release Date: August 9, 2011.



Going Underground by Susan Vaught: Del is a good guy. He really is. He's just stuck in a terrible situation. At 17, he's trying to get his life back on track and move on from something that made him an outcast and a convict. Because of what happened, he can't get into college and the only job available to him is digging graves. When Del meets the perfect girl, his past and all its complications threatens to ruin everything. But what did Del do?


Been looking forward to this book since I heard about it 2 months ago. I have an inkling as to what Del may have done and in my mind I have no idea how something like that could escalate in such a way as for him to be charged with a criminal offense since he was so young when it happened. But I'm just assuming things here without having read the book. I can't wait to find out though.

Release Date: August 23, 2011.


Sign Language by Amy Ackley: The only problems Abby North ever had in her life were her irritating brother, her crush and her changing feelings for the boy across the street. But now her Dad is sick and not getting any better. Nothing seems normal anymore and Abby has no idea what she should do.

Books like this are interesting to me because the central problem in the story has a ripple effect that seems to complicate other areas of the main character's life. I know it's going to be a sad a book (arm yourself with a tissue box) but I think it will truly be worth reading. I also love the cover. I remember when I was younger, my mom would take me to the toy area at wal-mart and I'd always search out the Eight Ball, ask it questions and then shake it. I was hoping for the magic plastic ball to tell me what would happen.

Release Date: August 23, 2011




Sweetly by Jackson Pearce: When Gretchen was little, her twin sister was stolen away by the witch in the woods. Ever since then, Gretchen and her brother Ansel have felt like the branches of the trees in the forest have been reaching out to take them too.

Years later, when their stepmother abandons them, Gretchen and Ansel find themselves in Live Oak, South Carolina where they are taken in by Sophia Kelly, a candy maker.

Life is finally good for Gretchen and Ansel until she meets Samuel, the town outcast, who tells her that the witch isn't gone and that she's looking to make Gretchen her next victim. But Gretchen is determined to fight back against the evil in the forest. But the more Gretchen learns about what the witch is and the way it chooses its prey, the more things become unclear.

All she knows is that something dark is coming and it won't be leaving until its needs are met.

A new novel by Jackson Pearce who you will remember wrote Sisters Red. This time around it's the fairytale of Hansel and Gretal she's reworking. It sounds interesting enough and I don't think I've ever seen this tale retold for young adults. Do correct me if I am wrong. I really enjoy how much fight and force that Jackson Pearce's characters have so I'll definitely be checking this one out.

Release Date: August 23, 2011.

(note: title quote from Barry Cornwall.)

No comments:

Post a Comment