Sunday, August 28, 2011

"Annihilation, Jim. Total, complete, absolute annihilation."

I love sci-fi. I will literally forgo a night of hanging with friends in order to stay home in my jim jams and watch Doctor Who. Like for many, it started with 1982's E.T. but it's always been that I've watched more than actually read from this genre. In YA fiction, I haven't found many science fiction novels so when I read the description of Beth Revis' Across the Universe, I got really excited. Finally, I thought.

Across the Universe by Beth Revis: It's very last minute when Amy decides to leave her life behind and join her parents on the spaceship Godspeed as frozen cargo. She expects to wake up 300 years later with her parents on a new planet but instead wakes up when the system keeping her frozen malfunctions and reanimates her.

She's alone in this new world contained by the steel walls of Godspeed and scared of a society she doesn't understand. Amy's fear only grows when she finds out that waking up may not have been an accident at all. Someone on the ship may have tried to kill her.
In a world where ignorance is bliss, Amy and Elder, the future leader of the ship, race to find out the truth.

I admit that even though I was excited for this novel, I wasn't entirely sure I would enjoy it. But I read it and was delightfully surprised. It's pretty damn good.

I loved the descriptions of Amy's experiences as she's frozen, after she's frozen and after she wakes up. Another point to appreciate was that the book not only offered us Amy's thoughts but Elder's thoughts as well. So the story isn't just about her but about him and the people on the spaceship. And there were times where I came close to actual tears (I'm not crying, it's just raining on my face). The novel has a lot of tragic moments.

I also got the distinct feeling that I was being hit in the face with that one John Acton quote, "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely", which isn't a bad thing.  It was interesting to see just how controlled the society on the ship was and in a way it was pretty terrifying.   
This book definitely has its merits despite being a little slow in parts.  I'm also glad that this is the first in a series because there's so much more story to tell.




In the 2nd novel, Elder and Amy realize they have to find a way to get off the ship after hearing chilling news about Godspeed.

A Millions Suns has a release date of January 12th, 2012. It sounds like the plot thickens and I am intrigued to see where it goes next..


(note: title quote from Star Trek.)

No comments:

Post a Comment