Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"You see, mon ami, the voices of the little gray cells have begun to sing to Poirot."

I wondered when I read the first novel, The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson, if there would ever be a time when we got to see her friends. The ones also involved in her accident and trapped in a sort of computer based limbo. I thought that when the book ended, it meant that we wouldn't get to see them at all. That they would just be names that Jenna Fox remembers.

3 years later and we're getting a sequel about Jenna's friends. Finally. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens and how both Locke and Kara will react to what has happened. I remember how much of a struggle Jenna had with her lack of memories and with what she now was so it's safe to assume that Locke and Kara will have an even more intense reaction.

What I really loved about the first novel was that it surprised me. Other novels that involve character memory loss usually keep it to a single night where some tragedy has happened. Jenna Fox didn't even remember what she used to be like. It also entered bioethics (ethics surrounding medical and biological research) territory, which is a subject the world faces today (an example would be stem cell research).

A quick comment about the cover of the book because I just have to say it. The original hardcover of The Adoration of Jenna Fox had a picture of a hand and a butterfly on it. But the paperback version features a girl with puzzle pieces making up her face. The Fox Inheritance also incorporates puzzle pieces. I think the paperback cover was a lot more thought out than the original and I'm glad they used the same design for the sequel novel.

There's a trailer out now for The Fox Inheritance and it rocks shelves like a hurricane on August 30, 2011.



(note: title quote from the TV adaptation of Agatha Christie's Appointment with Death.)

No comments:

Post a Comment