Thursday, July 7, 2011

A New Generation of Heroes?



I've mentioned before in this blog that I find comic books difficult to get into because so many of them have decades worth of stories (and I haven't the time or the money to catch up). But in the last year I've been determined to find something to get sink my teeth into and I did.

Young Avengers by Allan Heinberg (writer) and Jim Cheung(amazing and outstanding penciller) is what I've spent my time tracking down. I had a lot of trouble at first because I didn't know where to go to find them so I googled and found a blog post of the best comic book stores in my city. Now I own Young Avengers: Ultimate Collection, Young Avengers Presents and single issues of the series Avengers: The Children's Crusade.

The series is a strong one both in story and art and I adore its teenage heroes. In the series, The Avengers have disbanded and teenage heroes Iron Lad, Patriot, Asgardian and Hulkling rise to try and take their place. The small team has to deal with losing friends, an old evil from The Avenger's past and strong disapproval from the heroes they respect.

Young Avengers also features a gay couple. The first I've ever seen or heard of. The series even got a GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) Media Award for Outstanding Comic Book in 2006. A step in the right direction and I'm proud to be a reader of the series.


Young Avengers Reading List:
Volume 1: Sidekicks
Volume 2: Family Matters
Young Avengers Ultimate Collection (contains both Sidekicks and Family Matters)
Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways
Dark Reign: Young Avengers
Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
Young Avengers Presents
Avengers: The Children's Crusade

*note: Children's Crusade is the current running series that features the Young Avengers and issues 1-6 are out now but there are still 3 more single issues to go.



*I would also like to note here that of all the comic book stores I've been to in this adventure, Dragon Lady Comics has been the kindest and most fruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment