Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Books to Look Out for in July

I haven't done this in a while. Most of my posts lately have been related to discussing the issues in YA fiction and its community of readers so me just listing off a couple of books has been a rare thing. I'm gonna change that right now because I'm even boring myself. This place needs some excitement.



Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard: At an all boys boarding school, Alex fails to save a friend from drowning in a river and when asked about what transpired at the river, he and another friend named Glenn lie. Plagued by his guilt, Alex writes down what really happened in a journal which he hides in the school library behind a copy of Moby Dick. When Ms. Dovecott, Alex's English teacher, begins to suspect that there's more to what happened at the river than Alex is letting on, Glenn thinks she's out to get them. Alex must then decide to do the right thing or keep on lying.


There's something about this book that reminds me of 'A Separate Peace' by John Knowles but I'm hoping it won't be as depressing as Knowles' novel was. I want justice for the characters but I also want a little bit of hopefulness for them too. I really want to read this book and see if it's as good as I think it might be. I also like the cover since I think it conveys a lot about the novel in a simple and subtle way using the image of a preoccupied school boy.


Paper Covers Rock is out in stores now.





Pearl by Jo Knowles: Bean and Henry are best friends that don't fit in well. They don't even have normal mothers. Henry's mom Sally is a hermit who never leaves the house. Bean's mother Lexie is mostly absent but when she's around she's either hungover or complaining about Bean's grandfather Gus.

But when Gus dies, family secrets are revealed that have the possibility to change just about everything in Bean's life including her relationship with her best friend.



I really enjoy coming of age stories where some event has more than one effect on its characters. It's not just about loss but about something more. It sounds interesting and it's definitely worth a look.


Pearl comes out July 19th 2011. That's next week. Start praying to the spirit that resides in your piggy banks y'all.






The Girl is Murder by Kathryn Miller Haines: It's 1942 and the world is changing for Iris Anderson. Her dad is back from the war and missing a leg, which is making the physical part of being a detective a little difficult. Iris wants to help her Dad. Especially when she finds out that his latest case involves a boy from her school.



I've been watching a lot of Masterpiece Theatre lately and all they've been playing is adaptations of Agatha Christie novels involving Hercule Poirot. Not that I'm complaining because they're amazing adaptations. What I'm trying to say is that I've been craving murder mysteries and this book seems like a lot of fun especially since it reminds me a bit of Veronica Mars, which was sadly canceled in the midst of its awesome.


The Girl is Murder also comes out on the 19th of July. Piggy bank, oh piggy bank, let me get paid this week.






I think Forever by Maggie Stiefvater is a suggestion that goes without saying. I've mentioned it before on this blog as one of the books I was most looking forward to (I'VE WAITED A YEAR, STIEFVATER) so I won't bother with a description beyond: WEREWOLVES. I really want to read it. It's a series that's worth a read.

It's already available in stores since it came out this week on the 12th. Maggie Stiefvater is also doing a book tour for it so if you can go see her, do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment