Monday, June 6, 2011

I'm Holding Out for a Hero



DC Comics has decided to party this summer like it's 76 years ago.

Basically, they're remaking, reviving, redesigning and resurrecting some of their most beloved heroes such as Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman just to name a few on the list. This also means that they'll be taking everything back and starting at Issue #1.

You think you know your favorite DC superheroes? That may change since DC's revamp is set to make some changes ranging from minor (i.e. age) to major (i.e. origin stories).

"This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

I get where Jim Lee is coming from. I really do. I myself find it incredibly difficult to get into superhero comics because of those 76 or so years that I missed out on. He's trying to make the stories more accessible to both a younger audience and to those starting out with comics.

But I kind of feel like it's pointless since they have Young Justice and Teen Titans already, which consists of some young superheroes that are supposed to reflect the older heroes like Superman (Super Boy (aka Kon-el) would be his Young Justice equivalent) and a bunch of other new heroes. If they wanted to revive something then maybe they could breathe new life into those two series. JUST A THOUGHT.

The first comic they'll be releasing is Justice League #1 that comes out on August 31st. But if you can't race to your local comic book store, don't fret because DC is taking things digital through apps and a special DC website on the same day the comic hits shelves.

They're following in Marvel's footsteps since they also recently made some of their comics available to read online. It's a smart move since the rest of the publishing industry seems to be going in this direction.




LAST WORD:
I've always been more of a Marvel girl (x-men, spiderman, young avengers) but I salute DC and wish them all the luck in the world with this endeavor. SERIOUSLY BROS, I AM LIFTING MY BATMAN MUG AT Y'ALL.

I guess I'm just a bit apprehensive about the whole online aspect since I still love reading physical books and comics. I do not want to stare at a computerized screen all the damn time for every little bit of reading I want to do. But that's just me.


ORIGINAL ARTICLE FROM USA TODAY:
RIGHT HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment