Sunday, June 12, 2011

"I," she told him, "can believe anything. You have no idea what I can believe."

A night of work and watching fantasy films from the 80s with friends has produced the most joyous news I've had since The Hobbit film. It seems that Neil Gaiman's novel American Gods has been picked up by Tom Hanks' production company Playtone Productions and is set to make it into a television series for HBO. A six season, unrestricted series with 10 to 12 episodes per season.

Do you know what I love the most about this news? Gaiman will be involved in both the production and the writing of the series. This gives me so much hope that it'll be a great series. Oh gosh, my heart is all aflutter with excitement like I'm on a carousel.

What is American Gods about? Shadow is close to finishing his sentence in prison when his wife dies in a car accident. He's released early and travels home for a funeral but on his way home he meets a mysterious man named Mr. Wednesday, who seems to know a lot about Shadow.

Having nowhere to go and no one to turn to, Shadow agrees to work for Mr. Wednesday and begins to see things he never would have believed possible. There's a storm coming and Shadow is right in the middle of it.


In terms of casting? I don't know. I just want them to pick people who fit the characters and who have actual acting abilities. That's all I ask. I wouldn't know who to pick. Shadow remains so much of a mystery to me still that I'm unable to picture him in my mind.

My worries and concerns? Well, they're trying to stretch out a book that has 588 pages in small paperback form into six seasons. Some fans speculate that they'll even add in Anansi Boys, which involves a character that appears in American Gods. Maybe they'll even include the short story Monarch of the Glen, which shows what happens to Shadow after the events in American Gods.

Sources: ONE, TWO and THREE

(note: title quote from Neil Gaiman's American Gods.)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, six seasons?! That is incredibly awesome, but I agree, that is a lot of airtime to fill with one book (even if they add in Anansi Boys). Most authors have tons of backstory and subplots and side elements stored away that just don't make it into the final book. Maybe Neil's sitting on, like, 1000 pages of good material that didn't make it into American Gods but could be used for an epic TV series. Anything Neil's involved with is going to be legit.

    ReplyDelete