Friday, May 27, 2011

Spring in Tokyo, Summer in Seoul, Fall in London, Winter In New York





So I noticed a post on tumblr called YA CAFE the other night and it's basically, the blog baby of Gabriela from iggiandgabi and Ghenet from All About Them Words where they ask a young adult fiction related question every Friday.

What really caught my attention was that not only did they discuss each topic well between themselves on their respective blogs but they opened it up to anyone and everyone who wants to participate. So here I am...wanting to participate.

YA CAFE has been going on for a while so I'm quite but I wanted to start with the topic from Friday May 6, 2011: What makes a setting larger-than-life?


The best lesson I ever learned about writing was in a third year class at my school when my red headed, blue eyed and freckle faced teacher with a high pitched and childish voice told us to show and not tell with our writing.

I think a writer is successful in showing the reader the setting for their novel when their words create an image for the reader and make them feel like they're actually there (and not in their bedroom or on the subway/bus). That means details (lots of them) are important because they're going to be what makes the setting come to life.

Describe what the reader should be able to see and take them there. I think a lot of people might be afraid of doing this in their writing. There's no need to be. A memorable book will have a memorable setting that really ties the reader to it.

If you're story takes place in a small town in Arizona where rain and snow do not exist, then I want to see the sun bleached white dead grass or feel the sticky heat of a never ending day or see miles of a red dusty dirt road. I don't want to be reading a book and still be aware that I'm 1. in my country and 2. in my room.

I want to be in that book and experience the world of it.


Photo credit goes to SWEETPEA + FAWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment