Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Decaying Heart




Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion: R is a zombie. He doesn't remember who he used to be. He can barely talk and he shuffles along like the rest of his kind through post-outbreak America. But he's different from the rest of them because he can feel and dream. R longs for something he can't name.

After consuming the brain of a teenage boy, R experiences the boy's memories and decides to protect the dead boy's girlfriend, Julie. It's this decision that will change everything.


I am so eager for this book to arrive. It comes out April 26, 2011 and I'm beginning to sense a pattern here, all the good books come out at the end of this month. I really get the sense that this will be an interesting book. I am already so charmed by R. I think it may be because he's searching for his own humanity and is trying to claim it back. I also like that this novel will give him a voice when in his world, he doesn't really have one.

It started out as a short story called I am a Zombie Filled with Love that Marion released on the internet. I don't know if it's still around but I'm not going to go looking for it. I'm waiting for the novel.


The rights have already been sold to turn it into a movie. Rumor is that Nicholas Hoult (who I have loved forever) from such things as About a Boy and Skins UK will play R. I think it'd be interesting to see how this novel translates into film. It'd also be something different within the zombie film genre which has humans running away from zombies and never really connecting to them on a more emotional level (mostly because they'd eat you). The last time I saw a thinking zombie was in 1993's My Boyfriend's Back. Zombies and prom, the stuff of odd memories.






If you're as interested as I am in this novel, please check out THIS INTERVIEW with the the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment