Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Last Summer of the Death Warriors



The Last Summer Of The Death Warriors 
by Francisco X. Stork

17-year-old Pancho plans to avenge the death of his 20-year-old mentally disabled sister. But before he can do this, he is sent to a home for boys where he meets D.Q.  D.Q knows what Pancho is planning to do and tries to show his friend that there are more important things in life like love rather than revenge.

*****************************************************

I don't know quite where to start with this entry but I suppose the beginning is always good. The thing is, it is a rare occurrence when a book affects me. Most often, I remain detached from the fictional realm and characters in which the stories take place. Francisco X. Stork's writing but especially, Marcelo in the Real World and The Last Summer of the Death Warriors affects me. I do not know how else to put it.

I just recently finished reading The Last Summer of the Death Warriors and I loved it. Pancho and D.Q. are such unforgettable characters. Pancho, who is reckless, smart, dangerous, unaware and kind. D.Q., who is dying, enthusiastic, self-aware and observant. They make an unlikely pair but what they give each other in the end - direction and truth - is so important.

The novel ended unexpectedly for me. I thought it would end on a much more somber note but instead it was hopeful. And I selfishly wanted a bit more.



1 comment:

  1. I finally got The Last Summer of the Death Warriors from the library and am loving it. Thanks for featuring it on your blog! I don't think I would've discovered this book had it not been for your blog :)

    ReplyDelete