Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Guilty Pleasure Novel




Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman: Natalie writes a relationship column for her school newspaper and thinks everything is going just fine. Great even, until she's told (quite vehemently) that she really doesn't know what she's talking about. In fact, her advice according to some (internet commentators) are hurting people.

Naturally, Natalie comes up with a plan to prove them (internet people) wrong. She cuts her hair, hides her boobs, glues on fake stubble and pretends to be a boy at Underwood Academy, an all-boys school. In her quest to figure out the male population of the world, she discovers a lot of hard truths not just about boys but about girls too. Things get even more complicated when Natalie starts to fall for her roommate. What is a girl pretending to be a boy to do?


I say this is my guilty pleasure novel because it's something I usually wouldn't read. It sounds really boy crazy which only serves to make me a tad uncomfortable. I'm not a snob or anything. I'm just not interested in reading something with that sort of tone. I've read books like that before and I didn't like them. I like for the books I read to have more to them than a crush on some boy.

I'm mostly interested in it because it reminds me of 'She's the Man', a film some of you might know. It also reminds me of a manga called Hana Kimi which has been adapted for tv twice: once in Japan and once in China. The novel sounds like a lot of fun and I like how it hints that Natalie learns things about the dudes and the dudettes respectively. If it was just about guys, I don't think I'd be able to get through the whole novel.

Two problems I have with this novel, without having read it, is the cover and the title. The cover reminds me of Facebook and Myspace page photos. Not exactly charming or creative. The title is not exciting. It sounds, for lack of a better word, dumb. There is a lot of potential for interesting titles here and yet... it came down to Babe in Boyland.


Despite those irksome qualities, I will definitely be checking this book out.



Release Date: February 17, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment