Thursday, December 30, 2010

Werewolves

The theme for tonight is werewolves and the following are novels that I have either liked for some time or enjoyed recently.





Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause: Vivian Gandillon is a 16-year-old werewolf in a new school and a new town after her pack and her family are burned out of their old home. At her new school, Vivian meets Aiden, who is everything she wants: human, gentle and different. Eventually, Vivian must decide whether or not to tell Aiden the truth about herself. And if she does, can she deal with the consequences?

The thing I really love about Annette Curtis Klause is she doesn't write something you'll expect. Blood and Chocolate is not a black and white novel. The novel really makes use of that grey area and works with it really well. Another point is I really liked Vivian. She's strong, she thinks logically and she knows who she is and accepts it. I'm always happy when a female character is less of a weeping mess and more of a smart and collected individual. Really good novel.


And do yourself a favor, do not watch the film loosely based on this book. It is not a good film. I can understand why they did what they did but the movie became more of a joke than anything else.








Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce Sisters Rosie and Scarlett March are no stranger to the werewolves that walk upright amongst them. As children, they were attacked by one which left Scarlett with a physical reminder of the event. Together the sisters plan to take their revenge and destroy as many werewolves as they possibly can. Sisters Red is a retelling of the fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood.

First off, I love the cover. I adore how the separate images within the cover art fit together to create one image. The second thing that had me interested in this novel was that it's a retelling of a fairy tale. I admit that I am easily sold when there's a pretty cover and the story is fairy tale based.


What I really liked after reading the novel was how powerful Rosie and Scarlett were. The hunter image has always been a very male one so it was interesting to see these young girls step into those shoes. I also liked that this book wasn't solely about the monsters Rosie and Scarlett hunt but about the sisters themselves as individuals and their relationship. Rosie wants to be normal and stop hunting but Scarlett wants to do nothing but hunt. There were some things that irked me about the novel but they were small so overall, I really enjoyed it.






Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Book One) by Maggie Stiefvater: Grace knows there are wolves in the woods behind her house. The same ones that dragged her off from her backyard during the winter when she was younger and almost killed her. She waits for the time when she can see the wolf with yellow eyes, the one that saved her from the others. At 17, Grace just might get her wish in the form of a wounded boy on her back porch. A boy with yellow eyes.


I love this series. I love the cover art, the alternating point of views and the poetic prose in which the story is told. It's a very atmospheric novel. I remember when I first read it, all I wanted to do was curl up in my room like it was the middle of winter instead of the beginning of fall.

I didn't expect to like the main character Grace. I really had this feeling that she would grate on my nerves the further I got into the novel (and eventually the series) but I still like her. She's very independent, brave and willing to fight until the end. I like that the novel while very time sensitive makes the effort to slow it down in particular moments. It's those moments that I think shine the most in the novels.

The final novel Forever comes out July 12, 2011 and I'm really looking forward to it. Bated breath, crossed fingers, edge of my seat, wishes upon stars and all that.




This is the Linger trailer and the music is done by Maggie herself. Such a multi-talented lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment