Friday, September 3, 2010

BEASTLY




I first read Beastly by Alex Flinn a year and a half ago and later bought it as a birthday present to myself. It was hard to find. I actually had to look it up using the store computer and search for a location that carried it. When I did find it, it was one of two copies at a particular location that didn't have a large book collection and mostly carried chapters.indigo's non-book items like stationary, cups and metal water bottles. So I was very very lucky.

I really adore this book because one of the things I always wondered about when I watched Beauty and the Beast is, what happened during those years after the Prince was cursed? Why was he so mean? Why was he destroying furniture? There was suffering and pain there that I wanted to understand and with Beastly we get to read about a version of it.

I didn't even know that the movie was being made until I looked up the author on wikipedia just to check in and see if she had anything new in the works. I'm going to be honest and say that I've been dubious of film adaptations of novels since the release of the movie version of Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. I remember being greatly disappointed that the book I so loved had been so thoroughly and utterly destroyed. HUGH DANCY WAS NOT ENOUGH TO DISTRACT ME. I was a kid then but I still cannot watch the Ella Enchanted film without scoffing.

I'm hoping this might be a little different but I'm not entirely sure. First of all, while I have nothing against Vanessa Hudgens, she just doesn't resemble the character Lindy in any way to me. I'm going to give her a chance though. I really will.

Also, Kyle's transformed state (which you can see in the trailer I'll be posting below) is not like it is in the book. And I suppose I had been hoping for fur and claws instead of what I was met with but I will say, it's an interesting interpretation. You don't have to look like an animal to be considered a monster.

One thing that I got really excited about was the fact that Neil Patrick Harris would be in it and playing Will, the blind tutor. That character was one of my favorite things about the book. And I have no doubt that NPH will be stealing the show.

Despite all my apprehension, I'm going to give it a try. I won't completely knock it until I've actually seen it.

Beastly comes out in North America Friday March 18, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment