Friday, July 9, 2010

My History with Cameron Dokey


I think I was 12 years old when I found the first book by Cameron Dokey. The local mall that I lived near used to rent floor space to a book vendor every Christmas.  It was on a table covered in cheap blue cloth that I found Mystery Date: Heart's Desire.

Jeannie buys a pendant from an antiques shop but never expected it was anything more than an old necklace.  The pendant she found can grant the wearer's heart's desire.  It also has the power to awaken the spirits of the dead.

It was a love story.  It had betrayal and mystery.  It involved Egyptian mummies. At the time, I'd had a really intense love for things about ancient Egypt so I never stood a chance.

****************************************************************

The thing I liked most about her writing was how vivid her imagination was and even when she was being overly and romantically cheesy, I loved whatever she wrote.  I still do.

It is a true delight reading her novels and if you've never had the chance to before then get on it.  Sharpish.

She has also written other short books over the years, including many novels in the Once Upon a Time Series:

  • The Storyteller's Daughter (A Retelling of The Arabian Nights)
  • Beauty Sleep (A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty)
  • Sunlight and Shadow (A Retelling of The Magic Flute)
  • Golden (A Retelling of Rapunzel)
  • Before Midnight (A Retelling of Cinderella)
  • Belle (A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast)
  • A Wild Orchid (A Retelling of The Ballad of Mulan)
  • Winter's Child (A Retelling of The Snow Queen)
  • The World Above (A Retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk)
Gif made by crazy-tea-lover

No comments:

Post a Comment